Saturday 22 March 2008

TWENTY SEVEN - People-

Like most holidays I have been on, I do not meet the local people much, but do talk to the waiters, hotel staff, taxi drivers, shopkeepers. Most people here do not have much vocabulary, just basic English.
Some do not understand much at all, and the women seem less able to talk than the men. The children and young boys are more forthcoming
There are a lot of Israeli people here too. Israeli food on the menus.
Some people who work here are,of course, better educated and have good English so it is nice to have questions answered. I still do not know why some palm trees have shoes tied round them. Asked twice, and it seems to be either to keep bad spirits off, or to ensure the tree has a good crop of nuts.
Met a rich young man from Bombay called Ravi when in Candolim, he was with his uncle, who he worked for. They are into real estate. He was staying in a posh hotel and I met him at the Internet cafe. They are developing a building, with the aid of a ultra modern architect, from Argentine, who I also met. Good company.
The other Bombay person I met was the artist, who was at the Guest House, which I wrote about previously. Apart from that, it has not been possible to talk much about Goa, or India, or the world in general. I guess if I had been in Bombay it would be a different story.
There are Indian holiday makers here, groups of men, or families, but they tend to keep themselves to themselves.
A lot of the workers in the tourist trade are from other parts of India, in particular from Kashmir. I got the impression that the Goan people resent all the Kashmiris taking their jobs, but when the season is in full swing, there is probably enough jobs to go round.

No comments: