Saturday 22 March 2008

TWENTY EIGHT - SUNDAY AND OFF

Today is the last day here. It is still cloudy this morning and I am hoping for a bit of sun later but sky does not look good. Probably more rain on the way.
Had a swim in the lovely sea, which today is very calm, and much colder
Might go into local little town, Choudi, for a meal because the food there is Goan, and not geared up to tourist taste. Choudi is the only place where there is an ATM, and is where I bought my mobile phone. The phones are essential here., Everybody has one, every man, woman or dog. The call rates are very cheap, only 6.99 rupees a minute.
At the Udipi hotel in Choudi you can have a delicious breakfast of Masala dosa, and lassi, but it is too far away to go there except by rickshaw.
The food has been allmost without exception, really good. Fish and rice most days. I decided not to eat chicken or meat while here. There is a surprising lack of vegetables, unless you order a mixed veg dish, when they appear as if from a pack of frozen mixed veg, in a spicey sauce. Aloo gobi is usually delicious, and I noticed piles of cauliflowers in the Chaudi market, and potatoes, so these are local.
Twice I lashed out, and had king prawns - you see them before they are cooked. A memorable flavour. But quite expensive, about £10 sterling.
Fruit also delicious but not easy to buy cheap, unless you go for the tiny bananas. They are 1 rupee each,tourist rate.
This may be my last post,but I will be adding photos. Just nearly lost this text, as there was another power cut.

No comments: