Saturday 8 March 2008

SEVEN - Wedding

To continue with previous post about the wedding in Old Goa, this was held in a large hall over some shops. Of course it was decorated, and at one end was a dias where, eventually the bride and groom appeared. They were beautifully dressed, and the girl very pretty. She looked about 16. Everybody lined up to shake hands and take photographs.
I was impressed with the lovely clothes which the ladies wore, their best silks, with flowers in their hair. The children were similarly in pretty dresses, boys in suits. The chief men of the family were in traditional dress, with long tassled scarves, which I would like to have for myself (scarves, not men).
When we attempted to leave, we were urged to stay for food, so had to join another long queue and had rice, dahl,bread, pickles etc. Then once again, photo ops, and we were asked to stand by the bride and groom to have our photos taken - a great honour. It was a delightful experience. Earlier I did some drawings while the photo ops were taking place, and apparently there was a large crowd standing behind me, watching me drawing, which was a bit embarassing.

No comments: